One year ago I hit publish on my first ever blog post – Please no more stuffed toys! Gift ideas that aren’t just soft and fluffy.
It was scary but after much procrastination I did it. And boy am I glad I did.
Blogging this past year has been a fun ride and one that I’m not ready to get off. The freedom to write my own thoughts about something I love and finding like minded people out there who will read my dribble? It sounds too good to be true.
I have loved discovering so many fabulous baby and kids gift finds and sharing them with the world. Being able to support local businesses has been great too – there are so many talented artisans here in Australia.
Finding out through comments and other feedback that I have helped people find a great gift for their child/niece/nephew/grandchild has made me incredibly happy. It’s the whole reason I started this blog (well that and being tired of seeing so many stuffed toys/dust gatherers given as baby gifts! This is a stuffed toy free zone).
One of my favourite things about this blogging caper has been discovering an amazing commmunity of talented bloggers. These people and their words have made me smile, cry, rage, question and laugh-spit wine at my computer. The time they give to share their thoughts, spread the words of others and visit blogs to give comment-love is greatly appreciated. You all know who you are!
In my first year of Gift Grapevine, I’m proud to say that my dribble has produced:
- 23 gift guide posts covering every age from newborns up to teens plus specific guides for kids obsessed with LEGO, fairies, dinosaurs, ballet and Frozen. That’s a lot of gift ideas! I now realise I need a money tree as I want everything I find.
- 11 book related posts from age based gift guides to reviews by kids, for kids
- 3 posts highlighting the brilliant work done by Soles4Souls Australia, Operation Christmas Child and The Nappy Collective
- 10 monthly gift picks posts sharing my favourite new online finds
- A weekly quiz on my Facebook page “Way Back Wednesdays” where I indulge in my love of 80s and 90s nostalgia (there are some clever clogs out there answering these questions!)
- Lots of random posts about things like what scared me as a kid, gifts that parents hate (but kids love), my childhood memories (I love to reminisce about “old times”) and even an interview with Miss T
- The start of a series of posts “My gift memories” where kick-ass bloggers share their favourite childhood gift memories. So far The Annoyed Thyroid, Hugzilla and Mummy, Wife, Me have all played along. I love this series hard. Such wonderful stories and stylish flashback photos!
But there’s one post that remains my favourite – A doll that poops charms – what were they thinking?
This post pretty much wrote itself, was the first to gain comments and continues to provide me with laughs at the questionable search engine terms people type in to find my blog.
I’m not kidding. The Lalaloopsy Diaper Surprise Doll exists and it blew my mind (and grossed a lot of people out).
Thanks for letting me be self-indulgent in reviewing my first year of this blog. And thanks for taking the time to visit me in my little corner of the interweb. I love being here.
Y’all come back now, y’hear?
Would you buy a doll that poops charms?!
What do you like reading about on Gift Grapevine?
Is there anything else you’d like to see on this blog?